Nigerian authorities are investigating a statement by a suspected would-be suicide bomber who said she is one of 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by the militant group Boko Haram in 2014.
The girl, who said she is 15, was arrested Friday night after military forces in northern Cameroon stopped her from detonating a bomb strapped to her body. The Nigerian government is sending parents to Cameroon on Sunday to identify the girl. Nigerian officials said there issome doubt about the what the girl said.
“It has been confirmed that one of two girls is claiming to be among the girls stolen from Chibok on April 14, last year,” PresidentMuhammadu Buhari‘s office said.
In 2014, the Boko Haram abducted some 270 girls from a school in Chibok in northeastern Nigeria. About 50 escaped but the remaining girls are still missing. The kidnappings launched an international #bringbackoutgirls campaign on social media.
Add BBM Pin 7F5C2059 and follow @orlarjeedey for more updates!