Sam Allardyce believes he should not have left his role as England coach and confessed he still regularly thinks about his early departure, Skysports reports.
The 62-year-old took charge of just one game as England boss after taking over in July last year – a 1-0 win over Slovakia in September — before leaving his post by mutual agreement with the FA following a newspaper investigation claiming he offered advice on how to “get around” rules on player transfers.
An FA statement said Allardyce’s conduct “was inappropriate” and Gareth Southgate was placed in temporary charge, with Allardyce going on to excel in charge of Crystal Palace before leaving Selhurst Park at the end of last season.
Despite the incident taking place over a year ago, Allardyce told Goals on Sunday he had numerous regrets about the whole episode and struggles to get it off his mind.
“Yeah, there’s no doubt about that (the biggest regret of his managerial career),” Allardyce said. “Legally, it is a difficult subject for me to talk about at the minute but I think to say one thing personally: I don’t think I should have left.”