Female bomber kills 25 in Gombe – Welcome to Olajide.TV

Female bomber kills 25 in Gombe

by

Sharing is caring!

image

IN yet another moment of madness, a suspected female
bomber disguised as a passenger yesterday detonated a
bomb at Dukku Motor Park in Gombe State, killing over 25
persons.
Meanwhile, scores were feared killed and many public
buildings torched on Sunday in Geidam town, Yobe State
when suspected Boko Haram insurgents invaded the
community. Also, an explosion rocked a busy market in
the Bauchi yesterday, engulfing it in flames and causing
an unknown numbers of casualties, according to Reuters.
Large sections of the Bauchi central market area were on
fire, sending plumes of smoke into the air, he said. Medics
were driving some wounded away in ambulances.
In a related development, the military on Saturday re-
recaptured Goniri town five months after it has been
under the control of insurgents.
Following the Dukku motor park explosion Gombe, the
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) led
rescue operations have evacuated all persons affected by
the incident to the hospital while the area has been cordon
off.
Most of those evacuated were taken to the Gombe State
Specialist Hospital where they are now receiving
treatment from injuries sustained in the explosion.
Meanwhile, the NEMA has advised the public to be vigilant
and report all suspected movements to security
operatives.
In the same vein, the Federal Government has pledged
solidarity with the International Criminal Court, ICC, to
bring to justice terrorists, even as the United Nations-
backed court gets a vote of confidence from African
countries.
This is coming in spite of the call by the President of
Uganda, Yoweri Musevini, that leaders in the continent
should pull their nations out of the international court.
An eye witness, Yusuf Ahmed, told The Guardian that the
incident occurred exactly at 10:50 a.m. when the female
bomber went to Dukku Motor Park and detonated a bomb
in a bus, leaving 25 people dead while other sustained
injuries.
He said the bomber took an advantage when passengers
have already boarded vehicles, saying that the bomber
was said to have kept the bag at the bus without coming
back to the vehicle.
Speaking further, the source said during the blast, two
vehicles were burnt, adding that hawkers were among
those that were affected in the blast.
He said that the bomber would have not succeeded in her
mission if there was serious screening at the gate.
Confirming the incident to reporters, the Police Public
Relations Officer (PPRO), Fwaji Atajiri said that during the
blast, 19 people were feared dead while 25 were injured.
He said so far, the police had already condoned the area,
noting that those that died in the incident have been taken
to the mortuary, adding that the injured ones were
responding to treatment at Gombe Specialist Hospital.
The police spokesman called on the general public to
assist security agents in order maintain law and order,
saying the police cannot perform its civic responsibility
without the assistance of the public. He also urged them
to report any suspicious movement in their vicinity
Geidam is a border town with Niger Republic, and 180
kilometres north of Damaturu, the state capital.
Eyewitnesses in Geidam said that over 100 gunmen in a
convoy of Toyota Hilux vehicles and motorcycles
launched sporadic attacks on residents and public
buildings with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) for
over 10 hours, before a combined team of soldiers and
members of vigilante group repelled them by noon
yesterday.
“I can confirm to you that so far, five people I know where
killed by the attackers as I ran out of the town. Before
running out of the town, I heard of the five persons killed
but I am sure several people were also killed during the
attack,” another source who spoke under anonymity said.
It was also confirmed that the Divisional Police station in
the area, the local government secretariat and the Geidam
Central market were burnt by the attackers as many food
items as well as valuables were looted.
The State Police Commissioner, Mr. Markus Danladi, who
also confirmed the incident, however, stated that he was
not authorised to speak on the issue as only the Defence
Headquarters could give details on the exact level of
casualties.
Also, speaking on the attack in Geidam, the Special
Adviser to the Governor on Public Affairs and Information
Abdullahi Bego, said: “Geidam was under the control of
insurgents between 4:30 p.m. on Sunday and at dawn
yesterday, but a combined team of the military and
vigilante group repelled the insurgents by 2.oo p.m. in a
fierce battle that lasted for over two hours in the town.”
The source added: “Initially the insurgents captured this
town and Bara in Gulani Local Government Area of Yobe
State in July and August this year, after they attacked
Buni/Yadi, Katarko village and Bara, the council
headquarters. They had been forcibly conscripting youths
to join the sect fight us and other security personnel, but
today (Saturday), we were able to reclaim Goniri from
these terrorists. Some of them had fled to the forest,
south of the affected town in Gujba council area.”
On the reclaim of Goniri, Mallam Abdu Bukar, a resident
also said: “A military fighter jet dropped explosives on
some targets in the town on Saturday night, while the
infantry stormed the town targeting key locations of the
insurgents within and outside Goniri.
A helicopter also came midnight on Saturday and struck
at some locations, and today (Monday) we saw troops
coming in through Damboa, Ngamdu and Damaturu
roads.”
Goniri town is one of the five communities in Southern
Yobe Senatorial District which were captured by Boko
Haram last July and August.
Other towns under the control of insurgents, included
Gujba, Buni Gari, Buni Yadi, in Gujba Local Government
Area.
Musevini had said recently that he would ask the African
Union at its next meeting to consider a motion to pull out
African nations from the UN backed court, because
according to him, the court has now turned into ”a vessel
for oppressing Africa again.”
But speaking at the just concluded 13th Assembly of
State Parties to the Rome Statute of the ICC in New York,
the statement from the Nigerian delegation not only
endorsed the work of the ICC, but also expressed
readiness to work with the international court regarding
the ongoing insurgency in the Northeastern part of
Nigeria.
According to the Federal Government statement at the
meeting which ended late last week at the New York
headquarters of the UN, “the present security challenges
in Nigeria’s North-East Region which has been
characterized by mindless and inhuman terrorist activities
have necessarily deepened our engagement with the
Court.”
Continuing, the statement said such engagement is to
ensure that the ICC “acquires a proper understanding of
the nature of the conflict and in solidarity with it, to send
the clear signal that perpetrators of crimes against
humanity will ultimately be brought to justice.”
In fact, the statement made it clear that the ICC “is
increasingly becoming a critical global institution in the
task of checking impunity and promoting the Rule of Law
at domestic and international levels.”
Nigeria therefore called for collective global efforts to
making the international law establishing the ICC become
“a truly universal legislation through the progressive
increase in the number of signatories to the Statute” that
set up the court.

Sharing is caring!

No tags 0 Comments 0

No Comments Yet.

What do you think about this?

%d bloggers like this: