The Lagos State Government yesterday
disclosed that its contact tracing team had
discovered five additional suspected cases of
Ebola virus, which were brought in on Tuesday,
adding that it had not foreclosed new cases.
Of the new unconfirmed cases discovered in
the state, the state government said three had
primary contact with the Liberian-American,
Mr. Patrick Sawyer, while two others were
The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris,
gave the update at a news conference he
addressed at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre,
Alausa, Lagos, alongside his Special Duties and
Information and Strategy counterparts, Dr.
Wale Ahmed and Mr. Aderemi Ibirogba, among
The health commissioner explained that the
five new cases “have been referred to the
isolation centre located at the Infectious
Disease Hospital (IDH) in Yaba” for further
clinical check-up and treatment.
Idris said: “To date, we have recorded eight
suspected cases. Five of the suspected cases
came in on Tuesday. Twelve cases had been
confirmed earlier and five died. We are
currently following up 213 contacts and 62 have
The commissioner clarified that one of the two
isolated confirmed patients had already been
discharged on Tuesday, thereby bringing the
number of patients at the isolation centre to
Of the three patients at the centre, Idris said
one of them, Dr. Stella Shade Ameyo Adadevoh,
died Tuesday night; another one, a Liberian
national, had been discharged; and the last
patient was still under observation.
The commissioner paid tribute to Ameyo
Adadevoh, who he said was the senior
consultant endocrinologist at First Consultant
Medical Centre, Obalende, Lagos, describing
her response to the index case as heroic.
He said: “It was Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh, who took
the initiative to intimate Lagos State Ministry of
Health concerning the index case – Liberian-
America, Mr. Patrick Sawyer – and substantially
to her credit to whom the moderate
containment is owed.
“She led the team who attended to the index
case. Her doggedness and commitment to duty
saw her personally reviewing the case even
though the patient had earlier been seen by a
doctor. No doubt, she and the other affected
health workers are the heroes and heroines of
The commissioner extended the condolences of
the state government to the families, co-
workers, friends and loved ones of the affected
health workers for their irreparable loss, which
occurred in the line of duty.
He however reiterated the government’s strong
commitment to contact tracing throughout the
period of the Ebola outbreak, acknowledging
that the strategy had already started shifting
from primary to secondary contacts.
He urged the residents of the state “to be
vigilant, especially with regards to people who
are ill. There is nothing to panic about as long
as basic precautionary measures (hand
washing, adoption of proper waste
management and enhanced personal and
environmental hygiene) are adhered to”.
When asked if the state government had
received support from the N1.9 billion
intervention fund approved by the federal
government to fight Ebola in Nigeria, the state
Commissioner for Information and Strategy said
the state had not received a dime.
He said: “May be the federal government will
release funds later. But we are grateful for all
the federal government has done, giving us
technical support in the fight against the virus,
releasing their staff for contact tracing, case
management, operation of the Emergency
Operation Centre (EOC) and the rapid response
“This is a collaborative effort between the
federal, state government and other foreign
partners. As at now, we are yet to receive
money from the federal government.”
Ibirogba explained that the money spent so far
on the health of the Ebola victims were funds
released by the state governor, Mr. Babatunde
Fashola, to combat the disease. Read the complete story from the source.
The Lagos State Government yesterday